Sunday, August 9, 2009

Homemade Bread Pudding-Biltmore Recipe!

Does this NOT look so good you could eat the entire pan? I LOVE LOVE LOVE bread pudding. I've tried many recipes and this one will be the one I keep and use. The Biltmore Estate Asheville North Carolina makes this bread pudding. I've been wanting to try this for along time and finally yesterday since it was a rainy day here I did some cooking. This is so good alone, I dont mind forgoing the Caramel Sauce...hey you probably need to save some calories anyhow. My guess is this is about 2000 per look!

8 Cups Cubed day old bread 1-3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
9 eggs 1 Cup Sugar
2-1/4 Cups milk 3/4 butter melted
3 tsps vanilla extract 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon

Place bread cubes in a greased 9x13x2 pan. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk cream, sugar, butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour evenly over bread. Bake uncovered 350 for 40-45 minutes until a knife in center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.

Caramel Sauce:

1 Cup Sugar 1/2 Cup water
1 TB Lemon Juice 2 TB butter
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream

Bring sugar and water and lemon juice to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until sugar
is dissolved and mixture turns amber color ( this takes awhile) Stir in butter until melted. Add Cream, remove from heat. Serve over pudding.

*And yes I added raisins to the recipe,,,I cannot eat bread pudding without a raisin in every bite.

15 Thanks for your comments!:

Helen said...

Hello there! You and I share the same passion for bread pudding. I must have twenty or more recipes. But, not this one .... which I must try of course. Ditto on the raisins.

JEWEL said...

Thank you for the recipe - its sounds so good. I can't wait to try it.

squawmama said...

Oh girlfriend Bread Pudding is my all time favorite... YUMO!!! I will be trying this recipe for sure... a BIG Thank You!

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Nina Diane said...

looks yummy..thanks for the recipe. And regarding your comment on my blog....yes, I am addicted to dishes. My hubby just keeps asking..."how many bowls and plates do you need". he totally does not understand........

Judy said...

My daughter love bread pudding and has been hinting around for me to make some. I am trying your recipe this week and surprise her. Thanks!! If you try the corn chowder hope you like it. Mine is all gone so if you have extra call me and I'll help you eat it. We could have bread pudding for dessert!!

Anonymous said...

I tried Bread Pudding this year using a slow cooker recipe. I wonder if I can adapt this one to use in my crock pot? It looks so good and is one of my husband's favorite desserts. I have been looking for the right flavor combination to meet my husband's Bread Pudding standards.

It does look like it carries quite a few calories with the heavy cream...but I bet that makes it rich decadent.

Anonymous said...

Yummo.....I am definitely printing this out and putting it in the fall section of my calendar. Then the first cool day I will make it .... with the caramel sauce. :)

Sahildeki Ev said...

Looks like a very yummy receipe..

The Raggedy Girl said...

Wow this looks yummy but I would want the caramel sauce too. . .smiles to you.

The Raggedy Girl

Ginger said...

I love bread pudding and very seldom every get any. And I love raisins in it too.
I will try this receipe, it sounds pretty simple. On the bread part, you say 3/4 melted butter...is that 3/4 Cup? I am thinking thats what you meant.

Shelley said...

I am now CRAVING this!! This looks fantastic!!!! I've never tried making pudding before but I think I should give it a shot.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh that looks scrumptuous! I'll save the recipe to try later, because, as you said, the calories I gained just looking at that photo are probably my allotment for right now! Thanks for sharing this. laurie

Bridget said...

Oh I love bread pudding. I never even had it until I was in my 30s! So many years of my life wasted. lol Now they are waisted.

Laura said...

Oh how I love bread pudding! Thank you for posting the recipe! I have a bread pudding recipe on my desk that I will be posting soon as well. Stay tuned...I know you'll love it!

A great evening to you,
Laura

Pearl Maple said...

Followed a link to your blog today and really enjoyed all of your posts, hope life by the sea is being good to you today.