Friday, October 17, 2008

Sugar Cookies-Halloween

I have been in the mood for sugar cookies decorated for Fall. I had a vision of Pumpkin, Ghosts,ummmmmm!!!! I pictured myself sitting down with either a cold glass of milk or a cup of Flavored Tea. So far, all I've done is snitch one here and there, you know all us cooks have to test our recipes! These turned out pretty well, I normally have used a sugar cookie recipe that I've had for nearly 30 years, I decided to try out something different. I'm pretty happy with these--very easy to roll out and work with. I"m not sure yet about the frosting, depends if it hardens up or not. It tastes fine, but it hasnt hardened yet. Perhaps I will eat them all before it does! Here's the recipe, Enjoy! Oh and please come back--I'm redoing my blog and hopefully soon it will be up.

Sugar Cookies:
1-1/2 cups butter-make sure its soft and I used unsalted--(always) 5 cups flour
3 Cups white sugar 2 Tsp baking powder
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

Cream together butter and sugar until smooth. I'll be honest here, it didnt get that smooth for me! So I went right to the eggs and vanilla. After that is smooth, stir in flour, baking powder.

Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Pre-heat oven to 400. Roll dough out onto floured surface and use shapes for cut outs that you want to use! Place on ungreased sheets. Once the cookies show signs of browning I removed them. Its only about 5 minutes or so.

Here is the icing recipe i used this time:

4 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup shortening
5 TB milk
1 Tsp vanilla

I cut this in half and I had plenty left over. I also played with the milk and vanilla until it had the consistency and taste I liked!

5 Thanks for your comments!:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawnie, I hope you check out the Halloween party tomorrow. (I had to post early today) A lot of those ladies really know how to blog it up and do fancy things to their blogs. I hope to learn some new stuff too. I have tried over the years to make rolled out cookie dough but I was never any good at it. Wish I could cause I love iced sugar cookies.

Lady of the Mote said...

Hi Dawnie,the cookies look wonderful yum!!!!,thanks for stopping by my blog!

gail said...

Hi Dawnie,,, thanks for stopping by my blog. Your cookies remind me of my Mom, she made those pumpkin sugar cookies every year:) gail

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Dawnie, thanks so much for stopping by, it does mean a lot when new to blogging I agree ... love your recipes and blog. Will call back.

Ginger said...

Hi Dawn
I copied down the receipes for the cookies and the icing. I love to bake, but ever since we moved here I've had problems with things turning out right. Part of it is the altitude I think, and my new stove is electric. Would rather have gas, but have no choice here.
Ginger