Monday, November 24, 2008

Turkey Brining

First, no this isnt my turkey, but I sure hope it looks this good--actually it will!

Last year for the first time I tried Turkey Brining and used the recipe from Martha Stewart. It made the moistest, flavorful turkey we ever had. It was tough finding a place to submerge the turkey because I cook a huge bird,,,but this year we have it figured out.

Brining is submerging the bird in a seasoned broth for 24 hours. You still have time to run out and get all the ingrediants if your interesting in trying something new!

First, bring 1 qt water, 1-1/2 cups coarse salt, 6 bay leaves, 2 TB whole coriander seeds, 1 TB dried juniper berries, 2 TB whole peppercorns black, 1 TB fennel seeds, 1 tsp black or brown mustard seeds to a slow simmer until salt has dissolved.

Place turkey in whatever your going to use to submerge it. Add salt mixture and 1 bottle dry Riesling wine, 2 medium onions, 6 garlic cloves and a bunch of fresh thyme. If turkey isnt submerged in broth, place something heavy on it to hold it down. If your using a bag of some sort...tie it. Flip turkey once in 24 hours. thats it! Stuff as usual and cook as usual and you will have a great moist flavorful turkey!

7 Thanks for your comments!:

Lady of the Mote said...

it looks wonderful!
I never tried brining but hear it is very good,
thank you for you prayers,we are the only family he has,he has no wife to look after him.
I covet all prayers for him,
Have a blessed wonderful day!

Shelley said...

I'm glad you shared this about the brining! I'll have to try this next year. (My mother-in-law is cooking this year.)

HektikLyfe said...

I remember my mother would make a perfectly edible turkey, but it was known for its challenges. You needed a tone of gravy to wash it down and really sharp knives to cut it. The flavor was there, but the meat was always really dry and tight.

You couldn't say a thing though. She was a sobber. (I can't believe sobber isn't a word and meh is.)

squawmama said...

My SIL brinds her turkey every year.. She puts it a cooler to do it... That does make it really great tasting and moist... She is in charge of it this year again... I am cooking a small 10 pounder for hubby & I on Friday so we'll have some leftovers.. Think I'll give it a try this year... Thanks for the recipe to do it... Have a great day...

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dawnie. I had heard the term brine before but thought it meant soaking in salt water. That didn't sound too good. Thanks for the recipe...it sounds like it would make a great tasting bird with the wine and spices added to the salt and water.

I copied it to use next year. This year, my dh purchased two of the Jenno turkey breasts that you don't have to thaw but just throw in the oven and and turn on the heat.

Have a terrific Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

After you have brined (or corned) it, you can smoke it as well, that is delicious.

Brining makes any meat more tender.

First visit here, great idea.

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/

Lady of the Mote said...

Thanks,enjoy your day of prepping also,collard greens are wonderful,
what I love the most is the way the house smells when your cooking,I can almost smell it now:)