Monday, August 6, 2012

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Breast Cancer Awareness Month isnt until October.  October 13th is Metastatic Breast Cancer, day....just the day.  I guess I'm partial to October 13th since I'm Metastatic Stage 4.  I'm partial to anything Stage 4 simply because we are the forgotten ones.  People may not like what I have to say, but these are the facts. Out of all the money raised for Breast Cancer, all of it, which is billions, only 2% goes to research for Stage 4.  That angers me, saddens me, frustrates me, and leaves me almost speechless.   Out of the earlier Stages of Breast Cancer, 30% of those who are told they are cured will go on to Stage 4.  These are facts, no one wants to hear it especially those who are battling earlier stages.  I began my breast cancer journey at Stage 4. I didnt get the chance to fight.  I'm terminal from the get go.  I've never been angry, only sad.  Those who have followed me or know me from facebook or other places, know I'm approaching my first year of living with Cancer.  I'm in treatment, cancer is stable currently and I will remain in treatment until I die.  I could add until they find the cure, but I dont think they will.  Its to big a money maker and alot of people are making a fine nice living out of those who donate to cancer.  YES, I believe there are good researchers, good doctors, sincere people who want to find a cure.  I hope they find something for us, that will give us normal life span and soon.  I want to believe there are many that care about us.  Since I'm no longer working my full time county job, I now work at my candle and body care business to supplement my income.  I made a breast cancer candle last Sept to help fund myself since bills dont stop just because your ill.  This year I've decided i want to sell a ton of breast cancer candles.  For a few reasons, one to continue to earn an income, and also eventually I want to start a fund to help local Stage 4 Breast Cancer warriors.  Expenses when your ill, go thru the roof.  There is nothing in my small town to help those battling terminal breast cancer.  Even gas cards will go along way when your driving for treatment on a regular basis.  Sooo, this post is about my plan for this Sept and early October.  I will be making as many breast cancer candles as I can.  I would like to sell between 300-400.  Once i learn how to start a foundation or fund, I will designate 10% of each candle sold to this fund.  I will post a picture of the candle very soon.  If anyone would like to purchase one--please email me at dawn53094@yahoo.com.  I need to have this project completed by early October.  I'm traveling and having alot of doctor appts towards mid to end of October.  However, you can order them anytime I just may not get them out very quickly until after my doctor appts and scans.  Stage 4, is needing to get the word spread.  We need more research, more treatments that are not so harsh on our bodies and we need people to remember us.  I've experienced personally so many that once they get educated about Breast Cancer, they no longer want to talk to me.  I'm there worst nightmare.  I understand its scary--but please remember, this could happen to anyone, YOU, your loved ones, those who are lower staged already.  Distancing from those who have Stage 4 hurts, and its painful walking this journey alone.  I'll post more on this project later and add a picture.  I hope everyone is having a great summer, we are coming upon fall!  Apple Pies, Pumpkin bread and more!

2 Thanks for your comments!:

Always Nesting said...

I read your post, clicked out of it to think, and here I am again. I "feel" every word you have written. I "feel" every paragraph. I "feel" to the bottom of my heart, this post and that's why I had to take a deep breath before commenting.

This cancer that we fight, this cancer that we deal with every stinkin day has the stupid "stages" that people believe is the defining level of what's going on in our bodies. Stage 4!! And how do we get to Stage 4. Cuz we go up....1, 2, 3. Maybe not diagnosed but none-the-less there and we can go to 4 in a heartbeat. I know that at any turn I can go from a 2 to a 4 in seemingly the blink of an eye.

I am glad you wrote this post and I'm glad you are using your voice to "scream" at the frustrations of yours and my reality. I thank you for speaking up for all of us.

I'm going to try to put together a post this week on my blog. If I can pull my words together can I link up your blog with your post? Your voice is worth a million dollars.

Connie said...

So glad to see you are approaching one year! I have been praying for you at different times throughout the year. I'm glad you are feeling well enough to make your candles and enjoy the grandbabies!!